Strategic Radiology Awarded Grant from Coverys Community Healthcare...
The Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation (CCHF) has awarded Strategic Radiology a $282,000 grant to research direct patient communication of incidental findings in radiology reports in the emergency care setting.
“The traditional method of transmitting results to the referring physician is not optimal for incidental radiological findings in the emergency department (ED) setting because the care takes place outside of established patient–physician relationships,” said Arl Van Moore Jr, MD, FACR, CEO and chair, Strategic Radiology. “We intend to help prevent these findings from falling through the cracks by investigating solutions to deliver results directly to patients who undergo medical imaging in the ED.”
Strategic Radiology is one of 10 organizations chosen by the Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation to apply new models and innovative thinking to the challenge of consistently making accurate, prompt, and complete diagnoses. Coverys issued a request for proposals following the publication of its “Dose of Insight” report, which names diagnosis-related events as the single largest root cause of medical professional liability claims.
“Strategic Radiology is privileged to accept this grant on behalf of our independent radiology practices in the interest of their patients,” said Lisa Mead, RN, CPHQ, CHPC, executive director of Patient Safety, Strategic Radiology. “We applaud the Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation for its willingness to support new ideas to improve diagnostic accuracy.”
The process-improvement plan will be developed with the first intervention implemented in May of 2019. A large-scale test will take place in 2020, and results will be reported in November 2020.
About Strategic Radiology
Strategic Radiology is a coalition of 26 independent, private radiology practices, representing more than 1,100 radiologists. The coalition’s goal is to achieve higher quality patient care and more cost-efficient delivery of medical imaging through an integrated approach of shared data and best practices, interchanging clinical expertise, and consolidating certain practice expenses. It operates the nation’s only radiology-focused Patient Safety Organization listed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. https://www.StrategicRadiology.org.
About Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation, Inc.
Coverys Community Healthcare Foundation, Inc. was established to support charitable organizations and endeavors that improve patient safety and care, promote healthy lifestyles, and support individuals and organizations that provide health care. It has donated more than $7 million since 2013.
SR Core Members:
- Austin Radiological Association; Austin, TX
- Central Illinois Radiological Associates; Peoria, IL
- Diversified Radiology; Denver, CO
- The Hill Medical Corporation, Pasadena, CA
- Huron Valley Radiology; Ann Arbor, MI
- Inland Imaging; Spokane, Washington State
- Mountain Medical Physician Specialists; Salt Lake City, UT
- Northwest Radiology; Indianapolis, IN
- Quantum Radiology; Atlanta, GA
- Radiology Associates of North Texas; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
- Radiology Ltd.; Tucson, AZ
- University Radiology; East Brunswick, NJ
SR Affiliate Members:
- Casper Medical Imaging and Outpatient Radiology; Casper, WY
- Medical Center Radiology Group; Orlando, FL
- Minneapolis Radiology Associates; Minneapolis, MN
- Modesto Radiological Medical Group (MRMG); Modesto, CA
- Naugatuck Valley Radiological Associates; Waterbury, CT
- Radiologic Medical Services; Iowa City, IA
- Radiology Associates; Jeffersonville, IN
- Radiology Associates, PA; Little Rock, AR
- Radiology Associates of Appleton; Appleton, WI
- Radiology Associates of Macon; Macon, GA
- Rome Radiology Group; Rome, GA
- Southeast Radiology, Ltd.; Glen Mills, PA
- Tower Imaging; Santa Monica, CA
- United Imaging Consultants, Mission, KS
- X-Ray Consultants; South Bend, IN