Roku Now Offers Over 700 Channels With Slew of New Channels
With its selection of streaming entertainment growing daily, Roku Inc. today announced it has surpassed 700 channels on the Roku platform, offering consumers more made-for-TV entertainment than any other streaming device. The company also streamed one billion hours of entertainment in 2012. And with new channels launching this quarter, consumers will have even more entertainment options from the best brands and services in streaming video, music and casual games to choose from - including Amazon Cloud Player, Big Fish, Blockbuster On Demand, FOX NOW, iHeartRadio, PBS, Spotify and VEVO. In other news today, Roku also announced "TWC TV Launching on Roku" and "Roku Adds New Roku Ready Partners for 2013."
"When we launched the first Roku player in 2008, it was the very first device to stream Netflix to the TV and offered just that one channel. Today, the content universe is vastly different with many content producers and owners embracing delivery over the Internet and recognizing the broad appeal and strength of the Roku platform," said Steve Shannon, general manager of content and services, Roku. "We're excited to say we have more entertainment choices on Roku today - 700 channels - and more importantly, we have the best brands in streaming entertainment."
New channels on Roku span video, music and casual games including:
- Blockbuster On Demand -With thousands of movies and new releases to rent, Blockbuster On Demand boasts a catalog filled with HD titles - including hand-selected movies with the highest ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. New release rentals will be available for as low as $3.99, and Roku customers will be able to elect to receive special promotions for even greater deals. Expected to be available in the U.S. this quarter.
- Dailymotion - Bringing more than 30 million videos, 10,000 premium content providers and unique content for free, Dailymotion features a wide array of genres and original material from comedy to sports, music and more. Expected to be available in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Republic of Ireland this quarter.
- DISHWorld - The exclusive International TV content partner to Roku recently launched three new East Asian languages - Cantonese, Filipino, and Vietnamese. DISHWorld expands on the service of its parent company DISH, the leader of international programming for more than a decade. TV packages start as low as $14.99/month. DISHWorld also delivers programming in Arabic, Bangla, Brazilian, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu. Available now in the U.S.
- Flingo - More than 70 new channels, including brands like TMZ, A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, Transworld, Warren Miller, Fitness Magazine, and CollegeHumor. Select channels are available now. New channels will launch every month.
- FOX NOW - Features all-new full-length episodes of hit FOX shows like NEW GIRL, FAMILY GUY, GLEE and BONES as well as bonus features and content including behind-the-scenes interviews, episode descriptions and more. Expected to be available this quarter to customers in the U.S. who subscribe to a participating TV provider.
- PBS - Hundreds of videos from PBS stations, including episodes from new primetime programs as well as the PBS archives, with new national and local content updated daily. Programming includes AMERICAN EXPERIENCE, ANTIQUES ROADSHOW, FRONTLINE, MASTERPIECE, NATURE, NOVA, SECRETS OF THE DEAD, as well as local favorites. Expected to be available in the U.S. this quarter.
- PBS KIDS - More than 1,000 videos from PBS KIDS television series including CURIOUS GEORGE, THE CAT IN THE HAT KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THAT!, DANIEL TIGER'S NEIGHBORHOOD, DINOSAUR TRAIN, SUPER WHY!, WILD KRATTS and SESAME STREET. Expected to be available in the U.S. this quarter.
- Syfy - Brings exclusive access to all episodes of the digital series RIESE: KINGDOM OF FALLING and NUCLEAR FAMILY. Additionally, webisodes, clips and behind-the-scenes videos from popular shows including WAREHOUSE 13, BEING HUMAN and FACE OFF are available for screening. Available now in the U.S.
- VEVO - Features more than 50,000 HD music videos, exclusives premieres, select live performances and original music programming from more than 11,000 artists. Available now in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Republic of Ireland.
New Music and Audio