Copyblogger Media Unveils Genesis 2.0, Updating the World's Most Popular WordPress Design Framework to Make the Web Faster, Safer, and More Mobile-Friendly
"Genesis 2.0 embodies the four pillars of modern web design and development: performance, security, flexibility, and search optimization," said Brian Clark, founder and CEO of Copyblogger Media. "Genesis is already the world's most popular WordPress framework. Now it's better than ever."
A design framework is a supplemental layer of functionality, solid site code, and enhanced security that lays on top of the open source WordPress CMS that powers some of the world's most popular websites. It allows quick and easy changes to a site's "paint job" without disrupting SEO, underlying code, or site security. The addition of the latest advancements in HTML5, CSS3 and microdata have made Genesis even more powerful.
"With Genesis 2.0, we've added numerous enhancements, the most notable of which is support for HTML5 and CSS3," said Brian Gardner, chief product officer of Copyblogger Media. "Fortunately for the millions of Genesis site owners, updating to 2.0 is a painless, one-click process. Sites currently outputting XHTML can upgrade to HTML5 with the addition of a single line of code to a child theme."
New features and upgrades in Genesis 2.0 include:
- Streamlined design for enhanced look and performance. Genesis 2.0 sports a clean new look leveraging HTML5 markup and CSS3. Beta users have called it the freshest, most appealing parent theme currently available to WordPress users. The new Genesis is leaner and more lightweight, removing components such as the "Latest Tweets" widget, "eNews and Updates" widget, "post templates" feature, and "fancy dropdowns" setting. Those functionalities are now available as plugins.
- Microdata for improved SEO. Genesis 2.0 makes it easier for search engines to index content, because it has built-in support for microdata markup. Microdata is used to embed specific elements within content on web pages, which makes it easy for search engines to extract and process information from those pages and use it to provide richer browsing experiences for users.
- Enhanced mobile experience. Genesis 2.0 improves the mobile-responsive site experience with HTML5, including better handling of video and audio, contextual keyboards based on input type, and more. The semantic markup is accessible across smartphones, tablets, desktop browsers and future web-enabled devices, regardless of feature set or capability.
- Additional security testing. Genesis has always prided itself on providing a safe experience for users. Security is a major concern among website owners today, as thousands of hackers attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in WordPress themes. To provide peace of mind to Genesis users, WordPress' lead developer, Mark Jaquith, has extensively tested Genesis 2.0 to ensure that it complies with WordPress security best practices.
- Backwards compatibility. To ensure users feels safe and secure when updating, Genesis features one-click seamless updating to Genesis 2.0.
The upgrade is free for existing Genesis users. New users can purchase the Genesis 2.0 framework for $59.95 or in a package with every StudioPress child theme design for $349.95.